Friday, March 23, 2007

Soup

I am having, hands down, the worst week of my life. Although it doesn't really feel like the worst week. In fact, I can recall being in a much fouler mood on weeks when nothing had happened. As opposed to this week, in which my grandma has died, I've had the worst flu of all time, and oral surgery (I HATE people in my mouth. Make a joke; I dare you.).
Tangent about the oral surgery: The reason I'm going in for this; the many years ago when they put on my braces, my orthodontist decided to make a space in my teeth, to push together all the little spaces. So all these little spaces accumulate into one tooth-sized space. So i need a fake tooth. I am planning on one that is gold with a shiny diamond in it.
My doctor. Possibly the most irritating person alive. He is an oral surgeon, so of course he has these bright shiny chompers he likes to flash at you when you're lying there, prone and helpless under the bright lights. Last time I was there for a checkup, he had a tongue depressor down my throat and he goes, "So I was gonna take my kids to that pirate movie. But I didn't."
'Why (insane) doctor?' Why are you making small-talk when you have a tongue depressor down my throat?
'Cause it was rated Arrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!'
So I choke on the tongue depressor. This time around, as they are putting me under and getting the IV going; 'Hey, your heart's beating kind of fast! Are you nervous? You know what we have for nervous patients?! THIS TEDDY BEAR!'
I would like to state for the record that I am a legal adult.

But I'm actually feeling kind of peppy. Is this because I know that it can't get any worse? When you have a funeral scheduled for your weekend, you're not leaving the house because you're coughing your lungs up and chugging daytime sudafed to numb the pain, and you take nighttime sudafed to dull your mind, how can it get any worse?

My favorite food is Soup. Soup is amazing. It's an appetizer, it's an entree, it's a whole meal! The jack-of-all-trades of food. If only we could all just be a little more like Soup.

No wonder my favorite book was Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs when I was younger.
I seem to have a wierd personal relationship with the food I consume.

Cheddar Tomato Soup Loves You Long Time
12 whole fresh tomatoes
2 small onions-- chopped
1/2 cup diced celery
1 cup chicken stock
1 cup cream
1 teaspoon ground
basil
salt
black pepper
8 ounces cheddar cheese -- shredded

Combine tomatoes, onions, and celery in food processor and blend until coarsely chopped. Pour into large sauce pan, add chicken stock, and bring to a boil over medium heat. Simmer, uncovered, for 20 minutes. Add cream. Season with basil, salt, and pepper. Cook over very low heat for five minutes. Add cheese and cook, stirring constantly, until cheese melts. Serve at once.

No comments: